01 November 2011

Photo Finish!

With the race that stops a nation today is Melbourne Cup Day!  Most Australians are putting on their glad rags and working out which horse they are going to place a bet on.
When I was working at school we always had a sweep and I usually did pretty well in them. The staff would all bring in something to share for lunch and of course we went to great efforts (primary school style) to make a hat for the luncheon.  We would record the race to watch at lunch time and everyone would be on duty for 20 minutes at a time. Today there are only a few horses that i've heard of and there is no chance of us placing a bet. We decided it would be a good day to go to the movies since everyone is pre-occupied with racing stuff.
...and the winner is...Dunaden (Source) a photo finish that had to be magnified 4 times. 
I'm still not convinced it wasn't a dead heat!

We took off in the car just as the race was starting and there was hardly a car on the road. Nice quick trip to the Innaloo Megaplex. The theatre were virtually deserted. Got our tickets and had a quick bite to eat and then took our seats in the theatre, with the other eight people. Watched a great aussie movie, Red Dog which was close to my heart as I moved to the area near Dampier a year after Red Dog died. 
Red Dog's statue at the entrance to Dampier

The movie was funny at times but it also made me cry. I don't know if Stephen cried but I'm sure I saw him wiping his eyes and one stage.  He had a red dog who looked just like this one and was the best sheep dog he had ever had. But, unfortunately was run over on the main road outside the farm not long before I met Steve. Anyway I think everyone should go and see this great aussie film before it finishes at the cinemas. 


1 comment:

Vicki said...

Just watched the movie and cried...quite a bit. It is all very much around the time I was in Port Hedland and the caretakers caravan interior looked pretty much like Dad's.