08 November 2011

Shiny Things

I decided it was time for a bit of a spring clean.  We moved into this house about 4 years ago and I hadn't completely unpacked.
It was time to get up into the top of my wardrobe and get all those boxes down and have a look at what was inside. It ended up taking 3 days to go through everything. Now the three other bedrooms have stuff in them for me to put away.
One of the boxes was full of old metal things that I had forgotten about, so thought I would give it all a clean. I started out thinking this will take a couple of hours then I can get to work in the other rooms. About an hour later I found I was getting nowhere and thought....there has to be an easier way!! So I got onto the computer and found this great video on YouTube...was I happy?  You bet!
So I got stuck into cleaning and it still took quite a few hours but the the polishing part was made a lot easier. My stuff didn't come out as well as it did in the video but as he said, the better the quality the better it works..mine obviously isn't the best quality.
 All set Bi-Carb, bucket, foil and hot water.



Worked well on these pieces
This was in pretty bad condition and those black bits arn't coming off!

 Within a couple of minutes this sugar bowl changed colour

It came out pretty speckled, but with a little bit of silver cleaner it rubbed off very easily.
 Looks like a different piece!
 New again...well almost!

Like salt and pepper!
Everything looks nice and shiny



It was well worth the effort and I'm going to try really hard to keep it polished and not let it get like that again. And really happy I found an easier way to clean the silver.



3 comments:

Vicki said...

Looks great Kerry, I don't remember any of this...where did you get the teapot set from?

Vicki said...

P.S. love the picture of you amongst this lot too!

Kerry and Stephen said...

Well Vicki i'm not really sure. I thought maybe dad gave it to me because Cath didn't want it....but I can't be positive as i've had it quite a while. I can't think of anywhere else I would have got it from??

Yes I know i'm in the shot but It was impossible to get it without me in it.